Here
I sit in the Seattle airport… a very familiar yet very unlikable place right now!
I have a 10 hour layover through the night and am too cheap to leave and get a hotel
room. So I’m toughing out the freezing cold air that makes it impossible to sleep
in, plus I now know they do their construction work in the middle of the night.
It’s nearing 6:00 am Seattle time, and I’m due to board within the hour. So needless
to say I’m very sleepy and a bit impatient. This is the last leg of a very exhausting
3 days of traveling, from the sled ride by a snow machine, a bumpy 1 hour bush plane ride, a jet flight, then the two 3 hour flights.
I am
very much looking forward to this summer vacation. It has snowed in
May more days than not, but thankfully the weather was beautiful when it came
time for us teachers to leave. I cleaned the house and packed on Thursday, and
Friday fortunately flew by. We toted our luggage to the school, waiting for our
plane. It is a messy ride up to the airport, so we put all our luggage in trash
bags and threw them in the sled behind the snow machine. I took the ride up in
the back of the sled, making sure we didn’t lose any luggage. Kevin was driving
and could only go so far on the snow machine, because the airport is on high
ground and the snow is scare near there. So we dropped the luggage off on the
boardwalk and made several treks to retrieve all the bags, which was about 100
yards from the airport. The ride was bumpy and stomach wrenching, as the pilot
was a trainee and wasn’t use to such strong crosswinds.
We
spent the night in Bethel, where I got stuck with having to tote around my guitar
for the entire trip… they wouldn’t check it because of the long layover! It’s been
such a dang hassle! Just when I thought I was a pro at all this traveling business,
too. Ah well, next time I’ll know. Mom and Auj will meet me at the familiar arrival
spot in Dallas and I have been so excited to see them that I have to stop thinking
about it, because I get very impatient with the slow pace. Right now I’m too
tired to think straight, so I’m sorry for any typos or lack of flow.
I
was really excited for about an hour the other day – there is a survival skills
course that includes fun activities too – skiing, ice skating, gun safety,
archery, skinning meat, etc. (If you want to see the whole list look below).
But when I ran it by Grant he said we don’t have room in the budget to buy
everything necessary. Hopefully in the future we can make it happen though! So
instead I will teach computer applications for an elective in addition to my
other classes: health, 9-12 literature, and a literature lab.
Culture
Week was a little chaotic, but fun nonetheless. I was on outside duty,
shoveling snow for 3 hours every day. The original plan was to go riding out on
the tundra learning arctic survival skills, but no Yupik person volunteered to
go, so instead we shovel pathways for teachers to walk to school and shoveled
out boats.
Survival
Skills Class
Boat
safety
Salmon
fishing/prep
First
aid
Trail
hiking
Basic
wilderness survival
Berry
picking/prep
Gun
safety/care
Snaring/skinning/meat
prep
Suicide
prevention
Yupik
dance
Snowgo
safety
NYO
Cross
country skiing/snow showing
Ice
rescue
Ice
fishing
Ice
skating
Archery
Bike
riding
Nutrition
and fitness
Community
service
No comments:
Post a Comment