| Here they come |
“Someone caught a whale! They’re on the river bank somewhere!” The excitement on Audrey’s face was priceless – the Eskimos’ culture is intense stuff, but even she knew that this occurrence was pretty rare. I was so glad she got to witness it. We threw some warm clothes on, grabbed my adventure-ready backpack, and hurtled out the door and down the steps. Realizing we hadn’t a clue where the heck we were headed, we looked out at the river, only about 70 yards from the house, trying to find the commotion, but we didn’t see anything. “Lets split up – you go that way, I’ll go this way!” we started running off in separate directions, but before we get too far, I notice a man riding a 4-wheeler down toward the river, and I call out to him – “Are you going to see the whale?” He answers yes, so I call Audrey back, and ask the guy if he wouldn’t mind taking us with him. So we hop on the rear and take the bumpy ride down to the river and along its bank.
| Beluga Whale = lots of food for the winter! |
The whale wasn’t actually there yet, but a group of Eskimos were waiting for the little boat to get there. The scene was quite breathtaking – the huge sun was getting ready to set along the horizon, and just to the left of that, you could see the boat slowly coming up the river. I was surprised that little boat could pull a grown beluga. Thankfully the tide was low, so the men who helped pull the whale to land hopped off the eroded land down on the beach and started the process of tying rope to the whale, attaching it to 4-wheelers, and using their own strength to pull the beautifully white whale to land. As they stopped to periodically to figure out the best way of going about it, the spectators got a chance to get better acquainted with the creature. Me and Audrey ran our hands down the whale, amazed how Eskimos still live subsistence lifestyles and thankful that this whale would go to feed the whole village. We’ve tasted whale before, but what we really wanted was a few teeth from the creature. I was thinking about the shark tooth necklace I have, and how cool it would be to have a whale tooth necklace – where I actually pulled the teeth out of the whale’s head. That night the chance didn’t come up, but a few nights after that me and Audrey went out on a mission under cover of darkness to extract the teeth. It was a success!
| Seal, another popular Eskimo food |
After several tries of pulling the whale up on the tundra, and after broken ropes and worn muscles, they finally were able to roll the whale up the land and begin the butchering process. The next day, the Yupik class at school went out and distributed the whale meat to all the houses in the village, pulling it in a sled they made by hand.
So what else has been going on? We had our first blizzard! It was almost a white out, with 55 mph winds and lasting all night. I took Audrey out to see if she could stand up in it, and we both could, but I love trying to get around in blizzards. She was happy about the deep snow, how you take a step and sink down to your knees. It makes me remember my giddiness 2 years ago, and now it’s all new again. She makes me smile. J I know how the crazy weather makes you feel crazy too, and all my close calls with dying returned when I saw Audrey run and dive in the snow, so when I had to go to work, my big sister protection duty sprouted up and I asked her not wander off too far. But we’ve sure had some fun in this really awesome winter wonderland!
Such crazy experiences! Thanks for living here so I could come get a taste of it all.
ReplyDelete