Friday, April 1, 2011

Soaking up the Sun

You know that feeling when you’ve been stuck indoors for what seems like forever, then you finally get to go outside, and it’s a beautiful day? You feel like going on a picnic or running through a wide-open field, because the weather is perfect and you’re finally free! That’s what I’ve felt like lately. The days are longer, but the sky has been stormy for a long time. Usually you walk outside and you can’t see anything because everything is white - you can’t tell the sky from the ground! It’s really disorienting at times. I still go for walks in it - I put my shades on, bundle up, and just keep on trekking. 
But the past couple of days the sky was actually blue! It warmed up to 22 degrees, where I could go for a hike in a t-shirt! I actually felt the sun’s warmth, and I was stunned. I remember when I first felt it, I was thinking, “hmm, that’s an odd sensation! Where do I remember that feeling from?” It’s sad that I forgot what it felt like! I just stood there, after 9 miles of walking out on the tundra, standing and facing the direct sunlight. I didn’t want to leave it’s warmth, so I just laid down, feeling completely drunk in it’s comfort. I don’t even know how long I laid there - maybe it was my long journey that made me so tired and content, not wanting to get up, but I was out of it. There wasn’t even any wind to deal with - which is very unusual, as we live only 8 miles from the Bering Sea. 
I think maybe I had dozed off a while. I can’t begin to explain how good the heat felt... it’s like it went all the way to my soul! Even when I had to start the walk back to the village, away from the sun, I walked backwards for quite a ways just because I didn’t want to turn my back on it. I don’t remember experiencing this last year... this year has been colder and cloudier than last year. Anyway, I enjoyed it immensely!
Another exciting thing that happened this week was my state mentor coming. Okay, well, that part wasn’t as exciting as what she brought for me - fresh fruit!!! Boy, going without fresh food for such a long time sure makes you thankful for it once you have some. This semester is the first one where I haven’t left the bush. I typically fly into Bethel for some kind of meeting, and twice I’ve gone to Anchorage for training. But I haven’t even been to Bethel, the bush hub, since early January - and don’t have plans to - until the end of May. So for 5 months, no sight of cars, no wal-mart, no Starbucks, no restaurants, no fresh food... it sure makes me more excited and more thankful for the things I can enjoy once I’m back in Texas.
We had some New York college kids visit Newtok to volunteer their spring break time doing taxes for the villagers. They were asking me all kinds of questions, and basically they were stunned and excited to be able to say they stayed a week in the bush, in a completely different culture from what they’re used to. I was around their age so we got on well, and they were curious to hear how we lived, having to pack water, deal with no plumbing, the Eskimos hunting for food, etc. The weather turned for the worse towards the end of their stay, and they asked “what happens if the weather stays like this when we’re suppose to leave?” We would reply “then you’re stuck here!” They laughed, and said “no, but really, what will happen?” It was our turn to laugh - “no, really, you’re stuck here... the planes won’t come to get you!” 
Me and Kevin kept telling them don’t be surprised if you can’t get out. We told them how we almost got stuck here for Christmas and that’s just how it is! You just gotta roll with the punches. If you miss class Monday, oh well, there’s nothing you could do about it! Anyway, they wound up missing their morning flight, but the weather cleared up by afternoon and they were able to make it out before their flight out of Bethel left. 
Classes are constantly getting easier to teach and they are 100% more enjoyable than in the past. The kids and I are really getting to know each other, and it’s a joy to joke around with them and get past our differences and bond. Even the students that gave me the most trouble have come around to engage in our on-going jokes and silly rituals.
I’ll walk through the village and my heart just overflows with love for these kids and the people. It was hard in the beginning, I admit. It took a while to feel like I belong here, and it’s hard when you feel like you are not accepted. So many people are hurting and I have always hurt for them, but the longer I stay here the more attached to them I get, and the more I grow to love them. All of our shields and defenses were up at times. But by God’s grace and patience we’ve come to appreciate and respect each other, and it’s a wonderful feeling. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO happy to hear that teaching is going so much smoother and that everything seems to be going better in general!! YAY! But scary at the same time........

    ReplyDelete