Thursday, December 9, 2010

Chevak, another village, had a polar bear sighting! They sent the message to Newtok, saying it was headed our direction! In our Friday staff meeting last week they said just be careful when you go outside, and bring your bear spray if you stay out long. Justin, my oldest brother, sent me some bear spray so I’m covered. Anyway... the last update we had said the bear was at the Bering Sea, about 7 miles from here. I would have loved to see it...from a safe stance.
Grant was telling us about stink fish – a popular Eskimo food. Stink fish is a very appropriate name for it, too! The smell stays with you for a long time, and even though I didn’t try it, they say it’s almost impossible to get the taste out of your mouth, at least for a few days! Stink fish is floating fish heads in broth, then smothered in seal oil. They use it to eat during hunting trips because it keeps you full for a long time. I’ll try anything once but haven’t had a chance to try it. 
We had the first blizzard of the season on December 2, starting around 6:00 and lasting most of the night. In the early stages of the blizzard I had to walk home from school and I couldn’t look up because my eyes were unprotected and the snow and wind was too fierce. Later I went outside to see what it was like, so I held on to the handrail and didn’t let go. It was pretty extreme!
The days are getting colder and longer. It’s gotten down to negative 15 degrees already. The sun rises around 10:30 and sets about 5:45. Basketball practice ends at 6, so the entire time the sun is up, I’m indoors. It’s a bummer!

A family here in Newtok is building a mud house. It’s supposedly very warm! I hate that they're building it now, only a couple years before we all abandon the area and move. But that's what it looks like anyway.

My roommate went to Anchorage  for Thanksgiving and her flight was canceled due to bad weather in Bethel. When she finally got to Bethel she couldn't fly out for an entire week because of the weather in Newtok. Craziness... I'm glad I decided to stay here!

Basketball is up and running. We only have 8 girls eligible to play at the high school level, but at least they all want to play. I wish there were 10, as it makes running plays much easier, but oh well, just gotta work with what you have. We don't travel until January - right now I'm mainly trying to get the girls in shape. They are fighting that - there isn't the competition and motivation here that I grew up with.

Almost time to fly back to Texas for Christmas! I'll fly out Friday the 17th and arrive at DFW on Sunday. I can't wait. :)

1 comment:

  1. It's good to know you didn't take your bear spray and camera and go looking for the polar bear. He probably needs a mid-winter snack and heard there was a tasy young teacher planning a camping trip out on the tundra. He's hanging out by the sea waiting on you to make your move.
    The mud house looks just like a giant gingerbread house. Thank you for sharing it with us. Love you and I sure hope you aren't weathered in over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete