| drying fish |
Senator Mark Begich, representative Bob Herron, and another Senator from Michigan and their entourage came to Newtok yesterday in a black helicopter. They came to get an onsite update on the erosion of the banks of the the Ninglick River and the status of the impending move of our community to Mertarvik, the new site. They all came into the school and were very polite, shaking hands with everyone they saw, and we all went to the gym for the “ceremony.” The middle-aged generation translated for the elders who didn’t speak English. Villagers brought food for a potluck, and the visitors brought bananas, which went fast! It was funny seeing the photographers snapping shots with their fancy cameras and journalists scribbling notes on their notepads. The villagers were taking pictures of the “gusuks” (white people) and the gusuks were taking pictures of the Natives. The natives talked about their concerns and hopes for the move, and the Senators were genuinely concerned and supportive. I knew when Senator Begich brought along the Senator from Michigan, he was helping the move along. The one from Michigan was completely shocked as to where she was. It really is a different world up here and everyone who’s new experiences the culture shock.
During the fall we have a longer walk to school than during winter because of the permafrost melting. The ground is muddy and if you step into the wrong spot you could sink like you’re in quick sand! Plus, you do NOT want to get the mud on you because of the e.coli. There are still people who dump their honey buckets in the wrong place. More land is falling off into the sea and it’s noticeable since last May. The move should happen within 4 or 5 years, I hope.
Our incinolet is finally working again. I can’t count the number of times it’s gone out and we’ve had to use bedpans and/or walk up to the school. Not cool. So it’s fixed…for now. We just have to kick the side of it to begin the burning.
Since I’ve been back in Newtok I got some sad news. “Girl,” the husky that went on every hike with me, was shot over the summer. Her owners did not take care of her and she was going hungry. I hate that! I fed her every day last year but I couldn’t take her home for the summer. When dogs are not put on chains, if they are caught when there is a visitor in town, they are taken to the edge of the village and shot. Now I have to find another dog to feed all these dog biscuits I mailed to myself. :(
The wind blows constantly and last night it was so fierce our house was shaking. It’s difficult to get some sleep when your bed is wobbling.
There are not as many mosquitoes as last year and our fly problem is 95% better now that we moved the trashcan to the arctic room. The arctic room is what southerners would call a mud room. It’s where you take your snow boots off and it’s a barrier between inside your house and the outside. It keeps snow from falling into the house – after a blizzard you would open your door and the snow goes in the arctic room instead of piling into the living room. It also helps keep the house warmer by having an extra room between you and the cold. The arctic room is also where the deep freezer is, which we share with the school. Right now it’s packed with food and they will eventually move it to the school.
At our first staff meeting Grant used me as an example for warning about the harsh environment: “If you’re adventurous like Kim…” everyone had to laugh because there’s a little too much truth in that. Anyway, he told of my adventures out on the tundra… snowmachines, foxes, stranded in -60 degrees weather, etc. And he ended with “but she got the fox!” I hope the new teacher will heed the advice but I also hope she has fun!
Hope yall are having a good weekend. Let’s go out and love with the heart of Christ!
I hope you have fun but will be careful. I love hearing about your adventures and your life in general. I miss you and love you very much!
ReplyDeleteAwww, I'm sorry about Girl. :(
ReplyDelete